2020 Scholarship Program (Language)
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be all of the following:
- US Citizen or permanent legal resident
- Non-native German speaker
- Member of 2020 graduating class (public or private high school or home school)
- In the application process to a college or university
What is the process?
- Applicant completes and submits electronic entry form, recording and other necessary items to email@example.com by the application deadline (February 15, 2020)
- Entries will be screened by selection committees and the highest ranked applicants will be invited to the Final round on Thursday evening, March 26, 2020 at the Saengerbund Haus, 3410 Austin Street, Houston. At that point, applicants will individually converse with judges on a topic chosen by the Houston Saengerbund.
- Following the Final round, the winners from March 26 will be introduced and formally presented their scholarships at the Scholarship Awards event held at 7 PM Saturday evening, March 28, 2020, which is open to the public. Scholarship awards range in amount from $1,000 to $1,500.
Where is the venue?
March 26: Houston Saengerbund Haus, 3410 Austin Street, Houston
March 28: Cullen Hall on the campus of Houston's Universty of St. Thomas (Midtown)
- provide proof of senior status by the application deadline in the form of an official school transcript displaying courses completed, grades, GPA and class rank.
- provide proof of application to a college or university.
- respond in written German (and submit electronically) to the introductory question of the online application, "If you could visit any location and/or time period in the German speaking world, what would you choose and why?" (limited to 250-300 words)
- provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher of German.
- submit a model release along with an
- upload an audition recording presenting their answer to #3 above to YouTube by 11:59 pm of the application deadline.
- fully complete and submit electronically their application (including all the above mentioned required documentation) in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
- appear in formal or semi-formal attire at the Scholarship Concert/Awards event to be introduced to the audience and accept their scholarship award on March 28, 2020.
All scholarship winners will invite the Houston Saengerbund to send representatives to their school’s college award event for official presentation of their scholarship.