2019 Scholarship Program
The Houston Saengerbund, founded in 1883, is the oldest musical association in the city and features a Maennerchor (men’s choir), a Damenchor (women’s choir), and a Gemischter Chor (mixed choir).
The purpose of the Society is to cultivate the furtherance of German song and music, to preserve the German language, to promote the Society's life, and to convey good German customs and morals.
To further these ends, the Houston Saengerbund announces a new German Music and Language Scholarship Competition to provide scholarship funding to eligible high school seniors. There are two categories: Singing and Language.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be all of the following:
- US Citizen or permanent legal resident
- Member of 2019 graduating class (public or private high school or home school)
- In the application process to a college or university
What is the process?
- Applicant completes and submits electronic entry form and recording by January 12, 2019
- Entries will be screened by selection committees and the highest ranked applicants will be invited to perform for the competition Semi-Final round on Saturday morning, March 30, 2019
- The top 12 applicants will compete in the Final round at 7 PM Saturday evening, March 30, 2019, open to the publc
Where is the venue?
First Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1311 Holman Street, Houston
We will be accepting applications between
August 1, 2018 and January 12, 2019
- provide proof of senior status by January 12, 2019 in the form of an official school transcript displaying courses completed, grades, GPA and class rank.
- provide proof of application to a college or university.
- provide an introductory paragraph (in English or German for singers, in German for German language scholarship applicants), not to exceed 100 words, regarding their personal interest in German music or the German language.
- provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher or choir director.
- submit a model release along with an
- submit either
- (singers only) a scan of their German language Class 1 vocal solo (chosen from the UIL Prescribed Music List) in their preferred performance key, or
- (language applicants only) a typed transcript of their original competition German language essay (between 400-600 words).
- fully complete and submit electronically their application (including all the above mentioned required documentation) by January 12, 2019.
- upload an audition recording of their memorized song or essay to YouTube by 11:59 pm January 12, 2019.
- appear in formal attire (ie. formal choir performance uniform or similar), if selected for the Finals event on March 30, 2019.
All scholarship winners will invite the Houston Saengerbund to send representatives to their school’s college award event for official presentation of their scholarship.